What can I expect?
To provide much needed funding to our programs tourists are invited to visit our project locations to learn about our work.
Hospitality is a crucial part of any tourism operation and as an intern you will work closely with the team to ensure that our guests are satisfied with their visit. As the first impression of an organisation can be a lasting impression, it will be your duty to maintain a high level of customer service and to act as the welcoming face of ALERT and its partners. This is an important role that can often be challenging, as you strive to address the wide-ranging needs of our guests.
What will I be doing?
Your day-to-day duties will vary according to your project location and experience. We hope that you can also help train staff at the project location to improve their skills.
At Antelope Park, a private game reserve and safari lodge, there are three main areas you could be working in:
1. Reception - Meeting and greeting guests upon arrival and ensuring they are given the relevant information to help them enjoy their visit.
2. Reservations - Dealing with on-going accommodation and activity bookings and speaking to potential guests to promote the Park and its facilities.
3. The Dining Area - Providing a friendly and efficient service to guests at mealtimes and assisting in the smooth operation of this busy department.
4. The Kitchen - Helping prepare and serve the camp's meals for guests and staff.
At our project sites in Livingstone and Victoria Falls, interns may work in the following areas:
1. The Booking Office - Arranging activities via telephone/email bookings and speaking to potential guests to promote the projects.
2. The Hospitality Team - Assisting with activity presentations.
What are we looking for?
As a Hospitality intern you will ideally have, or be working towards, a relevant qualification. Previous work experience in the industry is preferable. You will obviously have excellent communication skills and will be computer-literate.
Click on these links for more information on the locations currently available:
PROGRAM FEES & MINIMUM STAYS
Program fees for arrivals before 31st December 2015 are GB£ 1695 / US$ 2970 per four weeks with a minimum stay of eight weeks.
Your fee includes collection from the nearest airport to the project site, shared accommodation, three meals per day and memories to last a lifetime!. Invoice amount is charged on a per day basis.
If you wish to intern with ALERT you will need to obtain a Police Check. As an intern, you may be working closely with children or vulnerable adults to some extent during your stay; therefore it is our responsibility to ensure that these people are adequately safeguarded. For applicants from the UK and USA we will arrange these checks for you, the cost for such being added to your invoice and payable along with your deposit. The cost is £20.00 for UK applicants and $30.00 for those from the USA. For applicants from all other countries we will provide you information to assist you in obtaining a police report. All interns on all programs are required to undertake a police check before the internship commences.
HOW TO APPLY
To assess your suitability for this program, please read the What Are We Looking For? section of your chosen internship before submitting your application. The minimum age for this program is 21 years.
Your application should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and accompanied by:
- A cover letter detailing your motivation for applying and the skills and experience you hope to bring to bear whilst with us;
- A copy of your curriculum vitae;
- A letter of reference from an appropriate academic or business source that confirms your experience
- First choice of project location.
Your application will be reviewed within one week of receipt. Only candidates with skills appropriate to their chosen internship will be considered. Successful candidates will be offered a placement at a location most appropriate for their skills and experience to ensure that both the intern and the project gain the maximum from the program. Additional references may be requested. We regret that not all applications will be accepted and no appeals will be considered.